Monday, October 3, 2011

World Card Making Day

As some of you may know, my family and I relocated last year. We stayed in state (NH), but about 2 hours away from "home" and in doing that, it separated me from one of my very best friends who lives in Vermont. The last time we saw each other was in January so imagine how excited I was when she finally made the trip down to visit this past weekend. I literally ran down the driveway barefoot when she got here. Well, I guess that's not completely true... I had socks on. :P I had made dinner to be ready when she and her son got here so we ate, I gave her a tour of the house and we just hung out the rest of the night. It just so happened to be World Card Making Day when she was here as well which was super cool because we used to scrapbook and stamp together. I have to tell the story of how we met simply because it's what made me love her *almost* at first sight. I might've shared this before, but here I go again.

When my hubby got promoted, we relocated about 2 hours north of where I lived and town I actually grew up in. It was a welcome change, but I had my reservations. I was moving from my parents and friends, my son (then 10) from his school and further from his dad and also leaving a job I really did like and had been at the longest of any job I'd had. The day we moved, my hubby drove the UHaul truck and I drove my car up with my son who was looking out the window very upset most of the ride. We were going to be renting a house and not unloading the truck until the next day so I stopped at Walmart to pick up a few necessities to get us through the night and the next couple of days. While there, I was telling my son to just be himself and he'd make friends in no time. I brought him into the video game section to kill some time and make him happy even if for a few minutes. There happened a boy who looked to be about his age and me being me, I approached him and asked how old he was. Turned out he was the same age and in the same grade as my son, BUT he lived in Vermont. BUMMER! When the boys mother came over, we chatted for a bit and I told her I wasn't some psycho, but we were new to the area. After saying goodbye, a few minutes later she came back and asked me... "DO YOU SCRAPBOOK?" OMG. LOVE. Instantly!!! I hugged her and actually might've actually said I loved her or you're my new best friend or something along those lines. Luckily I didn't scare her away and we got together for coffee one morning very shortly after and the rest is pretty much history. We became great friends and I just love her to death. I can't imagine never meeting her or having her in my life. I do believe I was in the right place at the right time and things happen for a reason!!!

At any rate, my kids were running me ragged all day on Saturday and I was busy cooking, but we did find *some* time to play and I made a couple of cards. The first one is using My Mind's Eye papers from their Love Me Do line. My friend, Melanie, was actually the one who taught me how to make this style card so it was pretty appropriate for me to make a card using this technique. I used some foam stickers to put "Up Up" on the outside and stamped "& Away!" in the inside. The clouds I applied to the top are made using by My Favorite Things Cloud Trio die and I added a couple of buttons in the corner and tied them with some twine by The Twinery.



The second card was SUPER simple to make, but I totally love it. I used a Woodgrain embossing folder made by The Paper Company to emboss the kraft cardstock and stamped the sentiment which is one of Unity Stamp Co.'s Itty Bitty stamps, Direction of Happy, directly onto it. LOVE these stamps!!! I layered that on a piece of polka dot paper and adhered it to my card base. Then I added a piece of the floral ribbon trim along the bottom which I am totally in LOVE with also!!! It's super soft, just beautiful and adds the perfect finishing touch.



A close-up:

No comments: